Clinician burnout is one of the biggest issues faced by healthcare providers. Clinician burnout is when providers face extreme exhaustion due to increased workload and clinical documentation. Burnout can also affect the patient care process.

The athenahealth survey  conducted by the Harris Poll revealed that staffing challenges and excessive documentation are the leading factors that contribute to clinician burnout.

The athenahealth survey

The findings of the survey were centered on a sample of 743 clinicians across different medical specialties. In January the physicians finished an online survey. Qualitative interviews were also conducted with the survey respondents.

66% of healthcare providers revealed that the exchange of data between EHR Software networks is simple.

Issues of poor interoperability

Lack of interoperability is a hurdle as data cannot be exchanged seamlessly between systems leading to poor care coordination and patient care. Efficiency and performance levels also go down due to poor interoperability and costs can also go up.

The respondents revealed that 80% of them experienced an increase in stress levels due to a lack of systems being interoperable.

Barricades to enhancing connectivity

Physicians noted the following hurdles to improving connectivity,

  • Poor data standardization.
  • Lack of coordination between healthcare organizations.

Nine out of ten physicians revealed that improved connectivity between Electronic Medical Records (EMR) software systems can enhance the health outcome levels and boost the clinician experience. Healthcare IT supports a better relationship between providers and patients and helps to streamline workflows, however, physicians reported that the great amount of data received overwhelms them and causes clinician burnout. Staffing crisis due to the pandemic, and an increase in patient volumes leads to an increase in stress as well. The respondents noted that staff challenges are due to not being able to retain them and a lack in finding qualified talent.

Moving ahead

The pressure on healthcare professionals and providers has established two viewpoints from physicians. 52% of them are pessimistic about the future of healthcare in the US, whilst the other 48% had positive views.