Large practices and hospital systems need to face a lot of challenges when it comes to day-to-day administrative, clinical, and financial workflows. Many practices consider switching or purchasing a cloud-based or a web-based EHR software solution because of its flexibility and lower costs. The web-based Electronic Medical Records (EMR) software system seems to be a better option to meet all operational and clinical needs.
Cloud-Based Software VS Client-Server Software solutions
When medical practices want to purchase a software solution they have two options to consider, namely cloud-based software services and client-server software solutions. A cloud-based EMR software system stores all data on external servers. It makes it easy for providers to access patient data around the clock using their smartphones or laptops.
Client-server software systems store data in-house and have hardware and software requirements and also come with installation costs. These days’ practices are opting to go for a cloud-based software system because of the many advantages it provides to their practice.
6 Advantages of Cloud-Based Systems
- Easy implementation – Large practice-set ups have a lot on their plate already and they can’t waste time on the implementation of the software. A cloud-based software system is easy to implement as no installation of hardware or software is required. The implementation process is smooth and fast and provides a faster return on investment.
- Cost savings – Cloud-based EHR software systems are cheaper to install as many up-front costs can be saved. When practices opt for a Client-server systems can cost $40,000 or more which is a hefty amount. As cloud-based systems don’t require the need to install hardware or software those costs are eliminated. Practices have to pay a monthly fee for the service they are receiving.
- IT requirements are reduced – When data is stored on the cloud, practices don’t longer need an IT team to install, configure, and update hardware and software. The SaaS provider takes care of automatic updates which makes sure the software system operates to its best potential.
- Increased flexibility – Providers can easily log in to the software system on their smartphones and practice on the go. They have fast and easy access to important information which can play a vital role in improving the patient care process. By accessing data from anywhere physicians can collaborate with other providers in a breeze which leads to enhanced care coordination.
- Scalable – When data is on the cloud, practices can easily grow without any hitches. New users, locations, and clinicians can easily be added to the web-based EMR software systems. This flexibility makes it possible to grow and offer better care to patients.
- Better privacy – Privacy and encryption of patient data are the utmost priority of medical practices and doctors. When the patient information is stored on the cloud-based EHR software practices don’t have to worry about privacy standards as the vendors take complete responsibility to protect patient data on a centralized server. Cloud-based systems can only be accessed by authorized users through login passwords which makes it a secure way to access patient data. Web-based EMR Software meets HIPAA compliance requirements.
Cloud-based EHR systems can be easily customized to meet unique practice requirements. Cloud-based solutions are ideal for large practices and hospitals. The robust technology of cloud computing ensures that high-quality patient care is offered and provides the functionality required by physicians to improve care by making critical data available around the clock.