Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Software systems were introduced in the 1960’s however it was not until 2009 that the robust technology system gained importance amongst healthcare providers and hospitals. In a recent 2020 survey conducted by national electronic health records, 89 percent of physicians reported using an EHR or EMR system which reflects that the medical software technology brings about many benefits to providers and patients.
The benefits of EMR Software technology
Paper records which were traditionally used are now seen as an outdated method to save patient record and data. It’s a costly and inefficient way, with the use of EHR Software systems patient data security is enhanced due to authorized access and end-to-end encryption. The initial costs of deploying a software system are expensive however in the future costs go down due to efficient workflows. Features and tools in the Electronic Medical Records software system have helped clinicians to streamline clinical, financial, and administrative tasks. Staff efficiency also enhances and there is also a reduction in billing and other human errors which leads to a boost inpatient experience. The real-time data access has helped providers to make quick and precise diagnosis decisions for their patients which has enhanced patient outcome levels.
5 major trends in EMR Software system to watch out for in 2021
EMR software and healthcare IT experts have suggested the major trends of an increase in cloud computing and improvement in a clinical decision system. In this article, we have jotted down the major trends and predictions of EHR Software technology this year.
- Patient access will improve – EHR software systems make healthcare more accessible and turn data into knowledge for patients. Only 50% of the patients are accessing this data. In the years to come more and more people will be encouraged to access this vital information which will enhance patient engagement levels and make patients feel more involved in their healthcare journey.
- Interoperability for seamless data exchange – Shortly the healthcare sector will see software vendors, developers, and other relevant stakeholders working together for unified standards of medical data which will facilitate smooth data sharing which will enhance care coordination amongst providers. This is the year where interoperability features and options in EMR Software will be in the spotlight, vendors can make fruitful upgrades to enhance data transmission between systems.
- Artificial Intelligence and deep learning – The future of EHR Software systems looks good because healthcare technology is progressing for the better. Medical software systems will rely on robust AI and deep learning tools for precise medication and improved decision making. Many companies are researching to add voice recognition functionalities to their EHR Software using Artificial Intelligence.
- Ease in documentation – The EMR Software systems of 2021 will make advancements in charting features and tools to simplify and ease the tedious documentation process. Voice recognition features and customized reporting will ease daily charting for the clinician.
- 5G and big data – 5G innovation has led to a leap in internet speed and will enhance how people interact with their smartphones and other devices. For the healthcare sector to leverage internet speeds across software systems data storage formats must be standardized to overcome the issue of incompatible documents.
EHR Software systems have a promising future with technology innovations of AI, blockchain, and deep learning. However, the challenge of making EMR Software systems more integrated remains there. Under the Affordable Care Act, software vendors were enforced to free their data for exchanges and the use of a mutual communication language such as FHIR. This major step has led to creating an opportunity for improved integration where data can be shared easily.